Fang Shui Canines uses positive and reward-based reinforcement training for even the most difficult situations. We don’t believe in the dominance myth, where dogs and people compete for leadership. Dogs are not “stubborn” and “dominant” if they “misbehave.” They are not “mad” at you or “getting back” at you if they potty in the house, for example. They don’t have our sense of guilt!
We have successfully trained people and their dogs to live harmoniously since 2002. We provide lifestyle coaching designed specifically for your pooch, making your relationship grow. We’ve obtained dozens of happy clients through viral word-of-mouth recommendations!
Then and Now
After bringing home 13-week-old Frisbee, my Border Collie/Australian Shepherd, from the Humane Society Boulder Valley in 1999, I found out quickly that he was bullying other dogs! Not good. Since then, while volunteering in shelter’s training programs, along with immersion in intense education, obtaining training certifications, and belonging to professional training associations, we overcame most of his dog reactiveness issues by identifying his triggers and how to overcome them. He became a Treibball and Agility star. Before his death in 2012, Frisbee retired from his career as an Animal Assisted Therapy Dog–we went to hospitals, nursing homes, juvenile delinquent centers, and libraries (to help children learn to read).
Additionally, in 2002, I adopted a fearful blue Border Collie, Luna, from Nebraska Border Collie Rescue. We have overcome most of her variety of fears and phobias. She’s taught me a wealth of information about unconfident and worried pets. She now has fun playing with other dogs and people in a variety of environments. She enjoys K9 Nose Work, Tricks and Treibball.
Fang Shui Canines helps clients in dog behavior predicaments not only similar to Frisbee’s and Luna’s, but so many other numerous and varied behavior issues. Compassionate, humane, science-based training works. We collaborate with mentor trainers, and attend the latest workshops, classes, and seminars led by behavioral experts, including Nicole Wilde, Patricia McConnell, Trish King, Sue Sternberg, Jean Donaldson, Dr. Sophia Yin, and Ian Dunbar. My portfolio also includes behavioral modification certifications and case studies.
- Founder of and certified (CATT) trainer for The American Treibball Association. Treibball is the newest doggy sport around—our classes are among the first in the country!
- AKC Canine Good Citizen Trainer/Evaluator for S.T.A.R. puppies and adult dogs.
- Founded Rocky Mountain Border Collie Rescue in 2003, where I trained rescue dogs to coexist successfully with their adopted families by giving them confidence, manners, and focus
- Volunteer with Humane Society Boulder Valley in their Specially Trained Adoptable Rover (STAR) program (to help dogs on the edge of euthanasia become adoptable), puppy socialization classes, and other training events (since 2002).
- Certified as an Animal Emergency Management Program Responder volunteer with the Colorado Veterinary Medical Foundation’s Animal Emergency Management Program.
- Evaluate potential canine candidates and help train them for the National Disaster Search and Rescue Foundation.
- Recorded podcasts for Animal Cafe, a weekly show that covers information about all animals, including bringing together experts in the canine community to discuss specific issues relating to all things dog.
- Interviewed for the AKC’s award-winning blog (Canine Good Citizen).
- Stay current with the latest scientific philosophies/training methods by attending national workshops, seminars, conferences (behavioral and veterinary), certification programs, and by collaborating with professional training communities throughout the U.S.
- Certified as a PETCO Canine Instructor–held lead training position for 2 years.
- Write articles for pet publications, including Cornell and Tufts veterinary newsletters.
- International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC) Member #596AF
- Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) Member #7118
- AKC Canine Good Citizen Trainer and Evaluator #82079
- International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP) Member #2762
- American Treibball Association co-founder and BOD member; CATT certified trainer #3
- Pet Professional Guild Member
- Colorado Dog Trainers Network
- National Disaster Search and Rescue Foundation Search Dog Candidate Evaluator
- Colorado Veterinary Medical Foundation’s Animal Emergency Management Program certified volunteer, currently taking FEMA training